10:00 am - 4:00 pm 03/05/2017
University of Huddersfield, 3M Buckley Innovation Centre, Firth Street, Huddersfield, HD1 3DB
**The Storify for this event can be viewed here.**
This one day Enterprise Exchange event enabled delegates to gain:
- An understanding of the University of Huddersfield’s generic Enterprise Placement Year (EPY), its content, and the benefit to students.
- An understanding of the University of Huddersfield’s more recent (2013) Sector Specific Enterprise Placement Year and how it differs from the generic scheme and its additional benefits to students and the School.
- An overview of the University of Huddersfield’s new HEFCE Catalyst Bid and the interdisciplinary Enterprise Placement Year programme.
- An overview of the research project as undertaken at the University of Portsmouth exploring the impact of the Self-Employment Placement on students’ careers and degree classifications.
- An opportunity to hear from current and previous EPY students and to ask questions regarding their experience and challenges
- An overview of challenges faced when promoting and managing delivery of a Self-Employment Placement opportunity in both institutions
Background and summary
This EEUK Enterprise Exchange Event focused on the provision and delivery of an intra-curricular Enterprise Placement Year; a self-employed alternative to the traditional employment based industry placement year for 3rd year undergraduate students.
Hosted by the University of Huddersfield, and co-presented by the University of Portsmouth, this event offered the attendees the chance to hear about differing approaches to, and the resulting impact of, a self-employment placement year.
Speakers and contributors:
- Professor Liz Towns-Andrews – Director of Research & Enterprise and Chief Executive, 3M Buckley Innovation Centre (UoH)
- Philip Clegg – Head of Student and Graduate Business Start-Up (UoH)
- Catherine McGrath – Business Advisor (UoH)
- Catherine Brentnall – Business Adviser (UoH)
- Nicola Walker – Enterprise Coordinator (UoH
- Lynda Povey – Enterprise Advisor (UoP)
- University of Huddersfield EPY student
Videos of the day
Summary video of the day (2:45) here.
Welcome (9:24) here
University of Huddersfield – EPY Overview (36:33) here
University of Portsmouth – Self-Employed Placement Year Overview (42:00) here
University of Huddersfield – Innovation and Development (36:50) here
Meet the Enterprise Placement Year students (35:57) here
University of Portsmouth – Impact research project (8:28) here
Question time (31:55) here
The challenges and joys for an enterprise team (11:51) here
Challenges Feedback (20:23) here
You can download the event slides below:
See above for how to book onto this event