The Student StartUp team supports student and graduate enterprise at the University of Portsmouth.
The Team remit is to support:
- Current students and graduates up to 5 years who are looking to start their own businesses and/or develop their enterprise skills.
- Academic staff by helping to design and deliver enterprise education within the curriculum.
We are passionate about all students developing enterprise mindsets, skills and behaviours whether they choose to work for themselves or enter the world of employment.
Our broad approach to enterprise and entrepreneurship is informed by research, policy and practice from across the world and includes innovative new pedagogies, specific tools and methods, partnerships and initiatives. Additionally, we aim to understand how the University is performing in this area and the implications of this for future course development.
Our core offer includes:
- Enterprise Clinic’s: Drop in service every Wednesday pm & Friday am for students to discuss their idea with a member of the nest team
- Mentoring & one to one advice sessions, competitions (internal, regional and national)
- Delivery of tailored business startup programmes – e.g. RoutetoStartup & Social Startup, Entrepreneurs Lounge series
- Incubation – A range of membership options are available at our co-working space
- Curriculum work – working with academics to embed enterprise skills within the curriculum and raise awareness of how to develop ‘enterprising graduates’ as stated in our Education Strategy
- Signposting to relevant expertise and enterprise opportunities for staff and students
- Managing Self-Employment Placements
- Managing Startup Visa Endorsement applications
- Delivery of key events such as the annual Enterprise Showcase, Dynamo Bootcamp & Employability & Enterprise Conference